FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 7th, 2023
WITH ONE YEAR UNTIL THE 2024 NOVEMBER ELECTION, CALIFORNIA’S 41ST DISTRICT IS ONE OF THE MOST LIKELY SEATS TO FLIP IN 2024
National Journal: “The district is trending in Democrats’ favor”
CORONA, C.A. — As today marks Election Day 2023, the 2024 battle for the House Majority is heating up, and all eyes are on California’s 41st District.
“We’ve never been in a position of greater momentum than we are today,” said Rollins. “We’re building something that everyone can believe in here in Riverside County, a big-tent movement of everyday people who know that corrupt Washington insiders like Ken Calvert aren’t focused on the job creation, healthcare, and infrastructure needs of our Inland Empire and Coachella Valley communities. It’s time for new leadership that puts Riverside families over politics, and in one year, we’re going to get the job done and bring people-first representation for our district.”
Below are some key highlights on Rollins’ momentum in California’s 41st District that will propel him to end Ken Calvert’s 30 years of corruption and self-dealing.
National forecasters are focusing on New York and California in Democrats’ efforts to re-take the House, and Will Rollins is the #1 raising Democratic challenger in either state.
- After posting a record $886,000+ quarter in six weeks in the second quarter, Rollins’ campaign followed up with another $831,000+ third quarter. Never before outside of an election year has a California challenger posted back-to-back $800,000+ quarters.
- In the third quarter, Rollins’ haul outraised Calvert by more than $100,000. In fact, among contributions directly from individuals, Rollins outraised Calvert by nearly $300,000.
- Grassroots donors are driving Rollins’ fundraising strength. Over 12,000 unique individuals have made a contribution to date, 82% of contributions have been from in-state donors, and 93% of contributions have been $100 or less.
Election forecasters are increasingly bullish on Rollins’ chances to become one of the majority-maker candidates for Democrats in 2024, and institutional groups are targeting the seat.
- Over the summer, the Cook Political Report moved California’s 41st District from “Lean Republican” to “Toss Up.”
- Dave Wasserman of the Cook Political Report called this district a “ticking time bomb” for Republicans, stating that “it’s moving toward Democrats with such velocity that it might be an even better target than some of the districts [won by President Biden].”
- In its initial House power rankings, the National Journal ranked California’s 41st District as one of the top 15 seats nationwide likely to flip next fall, and noted that “[t]he district is trending in Democrats’ favor.”
- Groups like the League of Conservation Voters, House Majority Forward, the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, and Lower Costs California, have already spent tens of thousands of dollars on the air and online on ads holding Calvert accountable for his record early this cycle.
- The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee is calling CA-41 one of its “districts in play.”
- House Majority PAC announced a $35 million battleground fund for California House races in 2024, and House Democratic Caucus Chairman Pete Aguilar is supporting Rollins through his California Majority Fund.
Without a competitive primary dynamic this election cycle, Rollins is consolidating early support both locally and nationally.
- On his launch day in May, 30 members of the California delegation, including all 3 major candidates for U.S. Senate, endorsed Rollins’ campaign. He also received endorsements from former Senator Barbara Boxer and over a dozen local elected officials and community leaders.
- Organized labor is supporting Rollins’ campaign, including early endorsements from Service Employees International Union, National Union of Healthcare Workers, Communications Workers of America, American Association of Flight Attendants – CWA, and the Southwest Mountain States Carpenters.
- Rollins received 100% of the vote at the California Democratic Party pre-endorsement conference, and as a result, he will be placed on the consent calendar at the CADEM Convention in Sacramento later this month, paving the way toward an uncontested endorsement.
- National Democratic organizations are supporting and investing in Rollins’ campaign, including the NewDem Action Fund, League of Conservation Voters, End Citizens United, Reproductive Freedom for All, Foreign Policy for America, Equality PAC, LGBTQ+ Victory Fund, the Human Rights Campaign, and many more.
Changing Demographics in Riverside County
Riverside County is a changing landscape with more and more Californians moving inland, and California’s 41st District’s voter registration trends reflect this population change.
- As recently as April of 2022, Republicans held a 346 voter registration advantage.
- Now, Democrats have overtaken the voter registration majority, with the October 2023 report showing Democrats with a 3,375 voter advantage.
- Multiple entities are active on the ground in voter registration efforts, including Grassroots Democrats HQ and The Welcome Party.
Will Rollins is a Palm Springs resident and Southern California native. A former federal counterterrorism prosecutor, he is now running for Congress in California’s 41st Congressional District.