Climate change is an existential threat that is already damaging our health, communities, and economy. We are living through severe droughts, heat, water shortages, and more intense storms and wildfires. In Riverside County, and throughout California, a record drought is straining our water supply. Record hot temperatures put many people at risk, especially those working outdoors and without access to cooling. The impact of climate change will increasingly affect tourism, construction, agriculture, and other sectors of our economy. This is why I support taking bold and decisive action on climate change.
My opponent Ken Calvert has consistently voted against climate change and environmental protection legislation. He’s even suggested that climate change is a hoax. We need a representative in Congress who isn’t funded by the oil and gas industry and is willing to protect our planet.
A Clean Energy Agenda
Here are my priorities to address climate change and invest in the green economy:
- Increase incentives to expand clean energy such as solar and wind power to significantly reduce U.S. carbon emissions;
- Support energy efficiency programs to help families and businesses save on their electric bills;
- Invest in better water infrastructure, conservation and management to support the needs of the Coachella Valley and Inland Empire;
- Back policies and legislation to reduce air and water pollution, especially in disadvantaged communities that suffer the most from pollution;
- Provide rebates to consumers to make clean energy and clean vehicles affordable and reduce overall gasoline consumption.
Green Economy Jobs
Riverside County has the opportunity to develop thousands of jobs in our expanding green energy economy. With the right tax incentives to encourage small, clean-tech businesses to start in the Inland Empire and Coachella Valley – and investment in major infrastructure projects across Riverside County – we can grow our economy, improve public transit, and protect the planet all at the same time.