Riverside County, and especially the Coachella Valley, is home to many retirees and seniors. As your Congressman, I will fight to protect and expand Medicare and Social Security from Republican attempts to cut funding for these programs for our seniors.
My opponent Ken Calvert praised a plan to privatize Social Security and voted to raise the retirement age, which would cut benefits for seniors. He voted to gut Medicare by turning it into a voucher-like program that could cost seniors more out of pocket. He has repeatedly voted against allowing Medicare to negotiate with the drug companies to lower drug costs for seniors and he voted against capping insulin costs at $35 per month for seniors.
I will prioritize legislation that supports seniors in Riverside County.
- Strengthen retirement income security by increasing Social Security benefits for all beneficiaries;
- Reduce prescription drug costs for seniors by protecting the ability of Medicare to negotiate for lower prices and expanding that ability to more drugs;
- Lower the Medicare eligibility age and expand Medicare dental, vision, and hearing benefits to help older Americans gain access to these important services;
- Ensure the Department of Veterans Affairs has the resources to provide the highest-quality medical care and support to our veterans;
- Expand Medicaid home- and community-based services in order to help seniors and others in need of long-term care services remain in their homes and communities; and
- Hold corporate nursing homes accountable to ensure our seniors get quality care.