I will always stand up for common sense gun safety laws that help save lives. As a federal prosecutor who worked on cases involving gun violence, I’m committed to basic rules that will encourage gun discipline and keep firearms out of the hands of violent and dangerous people.
Unfortunately for those of us who live in California’s 41st Congressional District, my opponent Ken Calvert is funded by the gun lobby, having received more NRA campaign money than any other California congressperson from 1998 to 2016.
The truth is that gun safety laws don’t infringe on the rights of law-abiding folks, but they do help reduce gun violence. That’s why I’m ready to enact the changes that the vast majority of Americans demand immediately, including:
- Basic violent history checks for all firearm purchases;
- Federal red flag laws, which would enable federal law enforcement agencies to keep guns away from people who threaten to commit mass shootings and other acts of violence;
- Safe gun storage rules, for the owner’s protection and the safety of any children in the home;
- Bans on large-capacity magazines; and
- Raising the minimum age for certain gun purchases to 21.