I want to lower taxes on the middle class families who actually live in Riverside County, where the median income is around $70,000 per year. We do that by raising taxes on the billionaires who have been protected by my opponent Ken Calvert over the last 30 years: The 400 richest Americans – all billionaires – hold more wealth than 60% of the country put together – that’s more than 150 million Americans combined. Those 400 households pay an average of just 8.2% per year in federal income taxes, while the rest of us pay significantly more.
We need leaders who care more about delivering for working families in Riverside County – all of whom are feeling inflation – than for massive corporations and the ultra-wealthy. Only 38% of jobs in the Inland Empire provide a living wage. Nurses, teachers, firefighters and police officers should not be paying higher federal income tax rates than billionaires. Small business owners shouldn’t have higher tax bills than Amazon, which often pays no federal income taxes.
What we need:
- Tax relief for middle and working class families and small business by reforming our tax structure to ensure that the wealthiest individuals and large corporations pay their fair share of taxes;
- An end to the price-gouging inflicted on average Americans by massive corporate monopolies, and a stronger antitrust division at DOJ;
- Action to combat inflation and economic pressures resulting from the pandemic and breakdowns in supply chains;
- Elimination of incentives corporations use to outsource jobs and profits overseas, and ensure that they pay the same tax rate on their offshore profits as they pay on U.S. profits;
- An increase in the federal minimum wage from $7.25 to $15 an hour, including indexing to parity for tipped workers;
- Legislation to require an employer contribution to employees’ 401(k) accounts.
Will Rollins is endorsed by: Inland Empire Labor Council, AFL-CIO; California Labor Federation; Communication Workers of America; International Union of Operating Engineers – Local 12; Office & Professional Employees International Union; Association of Flight Attendants; SEIU California; International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 400; Asian Pacific American Labor Alliance, AFL-CIO; and SW Regional Carpenters.